According to a survey of 1,000 Americans from Wyndham Destinations, the world’s largest vacation ownership and exchange company, it found that 55% of millennials have taken a holiday in a timeshare. A whopping 73% of millennials enjoyed the experience and 1 in 4 liked it so much they would consider buying one.
Why? Timeshares provide the ultimate holiday experience: comfort, style and plenty of options.
Social media influence
Social sharing also leads the list of travel trends influencing destination decision making. More than 1 in 5 (22%) people say they would actually consider purchasing a holiday home based on its Insta-worthiness. Whether the property would look great in photos is very important.
Key trends & statistics
50 Shades of Vacay
• According to the U.S. Travel Association, 63% of couples say that getaways are more likely to spark romance than a gift.
• 32% said that lack of privacy for ‘sexy time’ makes their leisure travel less enjoyable.
Experience-Junkie Millennials Discover Value of Timeshares
• 55% of millennials have taken a holiday in a timeshare
• 73% revealed they liked it, so much so that nearly 24% said they’d consider buying one
• 60% of Wyndham Destinations’ new owners are millennials and GenXers
Now is the Time to Share More Time
• 56% of Americans have stayed in a timeshare while traveling on holiday
• Nearly 80% report that they enjoyed the experience
• One in four respondents intend to purchase a timeshare within the next three years
Wanderlust Leads the List
• 42% percent of survey respondents give in to their wanderlust, preferring to holiday in a new destination
• 34% say they most often take a holiday in a city they can explore
• 24% seek outdoor adventures like skiing
One Size Does Fit All
• Solo travel is still trending among the younger demographic
• 72% of Baby Boomers say they most often travel with a spouse
• Only 55% of Gen Xers and 50% of Millennials bring along their significant other
• The number one thing (34%) consumers say make their holiday less enjoyable is a lack of amenities like laundry, a fitness room or pool
All in the Fam
• 43% travel as a family (e.g., parents and kids)
• 13% travel as an extended family
• When these holidaymakers travel with more than one person, 42% book a house so everyone can stay together